This intimate, historic indoor venue, located in Downtown San Jose, is perfect for a variety of shows, concerts, corporate rentals, family shows, special events and more.
The San Jose Civic is a designated City Landmark, circa 1936, designed by Binder & Curtis in the Spanish California Mission style. The Montgomery Theater is attached to the San Jose Civic. In 1933, Mr. and Mrs. T.S. Montgomery gave the City of San Jose the property where the Civic sits. In 1934, the cost of construction was $500,000, with the Federal Government’s Public Works Fund contributing $112,000 and a bond measure passed by San Jose residents supporting the rest of the $375,000.
- SEATING CAPACITY
3,036 Reserved Seating
3,326 Including General Admission
$15 Million Renovation
- CAPITAL FUNDING AND CONSTRUCTION TIMING
Capital funding provided by the City of San Jose, the San Jose Redevelopment Agency and the San Jose Theater Preservation Fund. Construction began in the fall of 2008 and concluded October 2012.
- CONSTRUCTION TEAM
Garden City Construction
ELS Architecture and Urban Design
San Jose Boiler Works
Charles Salter & Associates
Irwin Seating and Clarin Seating
Rutherford & Chekene Consulting
HM Mechanical Group
The Engineering Enterprise
The Shalleck Collaborative
- LEGENDS AT THE CIVIC
Since 1936, this iconic venue has played host to legendary stars, including Duke Ellington, Buddy Holly, The Grateful Dead, The Who, Bob Dylan, Barbra Streisand, Cream, Frank Sinatra and the Rolling Stones.
The City of San Jose owns the San Jose Civic. Team San Jose manages the renovated venue along with the Convention Center and four theaters on behalf of the City. Nederlander Concerts has partnered with Team San Jose to promote, attract concerts and special events to this historic venue.
- New $1 million sound and HD video system
- New stage lighting system
- New plush saddle-leather seating
- Quadrupled the number of restrooms
- ADA accessible elevator, shared with the Montgomery Theater
- Installed Wall of Fame and new signage
- Upgraded dressing rooms
- Refurbished hardwood flooring
- Increased and upgraded concession areas
- New interior & exterior paint
- Exterior LED lighting
- New VIP room for intimate meetings and other special events
- New video surveillance security system
- New boiler, heating system, seismic upgrades